This study was conducted to investigate changes in the functional compounds in bitter gourd (Momordica charantia L.). Four treatments were used to analyze vitamin C, momordicin, K, Mg, and Ca compounds in Dragon bitter gourd on the 7th, 14th, 21st, and 28th days after pollination. According to the number of days after pollination, level of chemicals containing vitamin C in bitter gourd appeared to decrease continually after pollination, and was the highest, being 74.7 mg/100 g on the 7th day. The level of momordicin, an anti-diabetic was significantly higher in the 7th-day product than that of the 14th day;, meanwhile, there was no significant difference in Ca compounds. These phenomena are considered to fasten the stages of harvest for effective use of functional ingredients in bitter gourd fruits.
- Ahn, Y. K., S. H. Kim, K. C. Seung, and D. K. Moon. 2011. Development of optical pruning method on okra (Albelmoschus esculentus L. Moench) production. J. Bio-Env. Con. 20 : 58-61.
- Bohme, M. and I. Pinker. 2007. Investigation regarding the potential for cultivation of indigenous vegetables in Southeast Asia. Acta Hort. 752 : 179-185.10.17660/ActaHortic.2007.752.28
- Iwamoto, E., S. Hayashida, T. Ishida, and T. Morita. 2009. Breeding and seasonal adaptability of high female F1 hybrid bitter melon (Mormordica charantia L.) ‘Kumaken BP1’ using gynoecious inbred line for the seed parent. Hort. Res. (Japan) 8(2) : 143-147. 10.2503/hrj.8.143
- Iwamoto, E. and T. Ishida. 2005. Effect of ethephon on seed emergence of balsam pear (Mormordica charantia L.). Hort. Res. (Japan) 4(4) : 401-404. 10.2503/hrj.4.401
- Jakeman, M. J., R. H. Edwards, and H. C. Symonns. 1993. Electron spin resonance studies of intact mammalican skeletal muscle Biochem. Biophy. Acta. 874 (2) : 185–190.
- Jittawan, K. and S. Siriamompun. 2008. Phenolic contents and antioxidant activities of bitter gourd leaf, stem and fruit fraction extracts in vitro. Food Chemistry 110 : 881-890.10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.02.07626047274
- Lee, H. J., A. K. Kim, M. M. Oh, S. G. Lee, W. B. Choi, and H. S. Choi. 2013. Selection of bitter gourd germ plasm for improvement anti-diabetic compound contents. Korean J. Breed. Sci. 45(4) : 332-338. 10.9787/KJBS.2013.45.4.332
- Lee, J. W., H. S. Lee, Y. W. Na, M. J. Kang, Y. A. Jeon, J. S. Sung, K. H. Ma, and S. Y. Lee. 2015. Investigation of physicochemical properties according to different parts and maturity of Momordica charantia L. Korean J. Plant Res.28(4) : 382-390.10.7732/kjpr.2015.28.4.382
- Moon, D. K., K. M, Cho, C. H. Kim, K. C. Seong, D. Son, M. H. Cho, I. H. Yu, H. R. Ryu, and I. W. Cho. 2014. Content of vitamin C and physiological properties of bitter gourd cultivar in plastic greenhouse. Acta Hort. 407-412.10.17660/ActaHortic.2014.1037.50
- Nadine, B., M. Gbeassor, K. Akpagana, J. Hudson, K. D. Soussa, K. Koumaglo, and J. T. Amason. 2005. Ethnomedicinal uses of Momordica charantia in togo and relation to its phytochemistry and biological activity,. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 96 : 49-55.10.1016/j.jep.2004.08.00915588650
- Park, Y., H. O. Boo, Y. L. Park, D. H. Cho, and H. H. Lee. 2007. Antioxidant activity of Momordica charantia L. extracts. Kor. J. Medicinal Crop Sci. 15 : 56-61.
- Park, Y. K., S. H. Choi, S. H. Kim, Y. S. Jang, J. K. Han, and H. G. Chung. 2008. Functional composition and antioxidant activity from the fruits of Rubus coreanus according to cultivars. Mokchae Konghak 36(1) : 102-109.
- Seong, K. C., C. H. Kim, H. C. Lim, and D. G. Moon. 2010. Improvement of fruit setting ratio by insect vector of pollen in bitter gourd for protected cultivation. Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 28 : 51.
- Seong, K. C., C. H. Kim, S. H. Wei, C. G. Lim, and D. Son. 2015. Effect of planting density on the growth and yield in staking cultivation of bitter gourd (Momordica charantia L.) under non-heated greenhouse. Protected horticulture and plant factory. 24(3) : 173-177.10.12791/KSBEC.2015.24.3.173
- Subratty, A. H., A. Gurib-fakin, and F. Mahomoodally. 2005. Bitter melon: an exotic vegetable with medicinal values. Nutr. and Food Sci. 35(3) : 143-147.10.1108/00346650510594886
- Tanaka, Y., K. Sameshima, H. Togo, T. Baba, N. Nagata, and T. Tsuyushige. 2007. Female flower producing and effect of fruit-set control methods for bitter gourd cultivar ‘Kakou5gou’ in semi-forcing culture. Kagoshima Agricultural Research Center Research report p. 29-36.